Carplantis Holland

Written by in Team Articles on .

·       Me and a good friend of mine were looking at a lake to fish in holland and across a place called carplantis, it's a old sand pit 17 acres in size and with depths of 45 feet I thought marginal work was in order. On the walk round there wasn't any signs of fish, but with low pressure and the wind blowing into a peg in the corner that would be first choice. We come out last in the draw but was lucky the peg wasn't taken.

With our bivvys set up and new rigs tied it was time to look for our spots. The wind picked up and the heavy showers started (not good conditions for my first trip using a boat). After finding 3 likely spots to place my rigs and being blown all over the shop it was time to get some bait in. I went for a simple bottom bait rig using a size 6 curve shank hook a coated braid, with a mad baits addiction boilie with a little white topper for my hook bait with 2 peaces of castaway Pva foam to push the rig away from the lead and protect the hook point, a 5oz gripper lead to prevent the rig from moving when I'm on my way back to the peg in the boat, and baited up lightly with addiction boilies hemp and pellets.

It was all quiet at our end of the lake over the first 2 days with fish showing at the other end of the lake. Not feeling confident with my spots and a change in the weather with the sun coming out it was time to look for for a few more. I drifted up and down the margin with a glass bottomed bucket and with the help of the sun found an old cut down reed bed a rod length of the bank in 6foot of water. Right next to it was a bin lid size clear sandy spot glowing like the sun in the algae filled murky water (spot 1 found). The second spot I used a heavy lead with braided line to feel for a hard donk in 12 foot of water 15 feet off some overhanging trees and another reed bed. The last rod was in about 15 foot of water and the only rod I heavily baited with 5kg of the nutz boilies.

Over the next 24 hours the fish were jumping like salmon heading up river off to spawn at the top of the lake, our side was the compleat opposite with not a fin to be seen. With 2 of the lads at the top end having a few fish each confidence was at a low. That evening I drifted over my spots peering threw the water to see if there was any signs that fish had visited the spots. Seeing that there was still bait there and my rigs were still in a fighting position we had a few beers and a BBQ as the sun went down. At 2 o'clock in the morning I was awoken by the sound of a screaming delkim, it was pitch black and raining again. With a shout to John who came rolling out his bivvy we jumped into the boat and the fight was on. As we were being pulled up and down the lake we finally got above the fish and got a quick glimpse of her before she made a dive straight down into the depths. It was like sea fishing again as the carp was stripping line and taking the fight down into 35 foot of water. After about 15 minutes she was finally ready for the net and with 1 swift move john had her in the net and we were on our way back to our peg with the prize. The hand on the scales pulled round to 43lb 2oz of Dutch fighting machine. The hard patch by the overhanging trees and reeds come good and with my confidents raised I slipped into my bed with a smile.


The next morning we were up looking for more signs but nothing at our end gave it's self away. At the other end of the lake was a different story, a few more fish were taken early morning and late morning. I went back out that evening and had a drift about looking at the spots, the 1 next to the old reed bed on the clear sandy patch looked ok, so I topped up with a few handfuls of addiction boilies and pellets and could see that the bait was still sitting good. That evening we sat watching the sun go down with a few beers and another BBQ then retired for the night. In the early hours of the morning they was screaming out again, I got up and could see it was the rod that was on the sandy patch. The fish mad a b-line for some snags so I had to drop the rod tip down and with a little bit of side strain the fish was clear of the snag. John was woken by the commotion and was waiting to slip the net under another nice mirror, number 2 in the net and a very pleased angler peering down at a chunky carp. This 1 was another stunning fish and tipped the scales at 37lb 8.oz. The pictures were done and the fish slipped back nice and safe back to it's deep and dark home. The following night from the spot I had my first fish from I had another take, this one went straight into the reeds and snagged me up. We were back out in the boat once again in the dark, as we got to where the fish was we noticed it was gone and the hood was imbedded in a reed stem. As I retrieved the rig I noticed that there was a rather large scale attached to the hook. Losing a fish is never nice but having two already softened the blow a bit. That was the last chance of our trip and what a trip it was.


There's a few things I put them captures down to, a bait you feel confident with, rig presentation i.e using rig foam to help push your hook bait away from the lead and protect the hook, and not over feeding. The takes I had were over a small amount of bait fishing for a bit at a time as there wasn't enough fish down our end to compete for a large amount of food. The rod with 5kg on didn't see any action so don't fill it in unless there having it, because once you put it in you can't take it out.

Tight lines

Royston Clarke

Last update: Oct 15, 2015

Related Article


Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply